5 Baby Steps to Creating a Workout Routine for Beginners
The world of workout doesn’t have to be intimidating. Regardless of where you are at in your fitness journey, Miramont is here to help you live a healthy lifestyle. Here are just a few tips for creating a workout routine for beginners:
- Evaluate your current physical activity. Even at the beginner level, everyone performs varying degrees of physical activity. Take a moment to write down exactly how many hours of activity you perform each week, rate the level of intensity and determine goals for where you want to be in six months. This will help you gauge your next steps.
- Increase intensity at a gradual rate. Plunging headfirst into an intense workout will not only burn you out fast, but it also increases the risk for personal injury. When deciding how far to go in exercising, aim for feeling a stretch or burn in your muscles but not serious pain. As each activity becomes easier, increase the number of reps and duration to continually work towards your goal.
- Include a variety of exercises. Variety is the spice of life! Keep your workout interesting – and give each body part equal attention – by including multiple types of exercises. We recommend choosing activities that work your quads, hamstrings, triceps, biceps, chest, abs and lower back.
- Find the right number of reps and sets. Depending on your goals and fitness level, there is a certain formula when it comes to the right number of reps and sets. A good starting point for a beginner is about 10-15 repetitions per set, and about 15-20 sets per workout. As always, keep your workouts at the point where it is challenging but not impossible.
- Keep it up! Stay motivated to accomplish your fitness goals. Grab a workout buddy for accountability, or offer yourself incentives for reaching certain milestones. Set a fixed number of gym visits per week and stick to it!